Manufacture, Transport, Disposition, and Defacement of Weapons and Dangerous Instruments and Appliances
Fred Sisto is a certified criminal trial attorney that is highly experienced with cases involving illegal weapons crimes. Contact him right away if you are facing this type of criminal charge.
Illegal Weapons Crimes – What You Should Know
In New Jersey, anyone who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells, or disposes of any weapon—without the proper registration or license—is guilty of a crime. The following is a list of those weapons and acts as identified in New Jersey Statute 2C:39-9:
- Machine guns
- Sawed-off shotguns
- Firearm silencers
- Other weapons
- Gravity knives
- Switchblade knives
- Ballistic knives
- Metal knuckles
- Sand Clubs
- Tear-gas weapons
- Cesti (or similar leather bands studded with metal filings)
- Defaced firearms
- Making available armor-penetrating bullets
- Assault firearms
- Transporting firearms into New Jersey for an unlawful sale or transfer
The penalties for these actions depend on the weapon and the act committed. However, in most circumstances, the act is seen as a third or fourth-degree crime. If identified as a third-degree crime in the state of New Jersey, then the convicted individual could face 3-5 years in prison. If identified as a fourth-degree crime, then the convicted individual could face up to 18 months. Due to the range of penalties, it is in your best interest to contact a professional attorney in order to understand what penalties may be involved, depending on the unique circumstances.
Regardless of the variation in the different acts committed by a defendant, there are numerous ways that Fred Sisto can prepare a defense. Some examples are:
- Proving that the arrest and investigation were performed illegally.
- Showing evidence that the manufacturing, transportation, shipping, selling, or disposal of the weapon was performed legally
- Building a case that shows the defendant was exempt from the law based on his/her specific circumstance
Call Fred Sisto today at (732) 898-3232 so that he may begin to prepare your defense.