Are you facing a theft-related criminal charge? Contact criminal lawyer Fred Sisto right away. Fred Sisto has a proven track record defending many individuals in Monmouth and Ocean County. He is a respected, highly rated, certified criminal trial attorney. Many of his past clients have benefitted from having him fight for their rights. You can trust that he’ll fight for yours too!
What Is Theft?
Theft in New Jersey is based on a three-part definition. For a conviction, the state must prove all three elements beyond a reasonable doubt:
- That defendant knowingly took or unlawfully exercised control over property;
- That the property belonged to another;
- That defendant’s purpose was to deprive the other person of the property.
Determining the category and severity of a theft depends on what type of property was taken, combined with the property’s worth.
- Disorderly Persons Theft (Up to 6 months in jail)
Disorderly persons theft (the least severe) applies if the stolen property is valued at less than $200.
- Fourth Degree Theft (Up to 18 months in prison)
Fourth degree theft applies if the stolen property has a value of at least $200, but does not exceed $500.
- Third Degree Theft (Up to 5 years in prison)
Third degree theft applies if the value of the stolen property exceeds $500, but is less than $75,000.
- Second Degree Theft (Up to 10 years in prison)
Second degree theft applies if the value of the stolen property is $75,000 or more.
If you’ve been charged with theft or shoplifting, you need an experienced attorney who has the knowledge and work ethic to win your case.
Fred Sisto is a successful theft attorney in Ocean County and Monmouth County. He has the track record to prove it.
Call Us Today! 732-898-3232